List of United States-Mexico Border Crossings
- Last Updated: June 29, 2021 by Roxanna Brock McDade
- Border Crossing, Driving to Mexico, Vehicle Import Permit
Your car is all packed, you've purchased your Mexican auto insurance online, and now you are ready to head to Mexico for a much needed beach vacation.
The one thing you’ve not planned is your route to Mexico. An important factor in mapping your drive is knowing where the closest border crossing, between you and your Mexican destination, is located. Here you'll find the crossings in each U.S. state relative to the bordering Mexican states. In addition find border crossings where you can buy a temporary vehicle importation permit for travel outside the Mexico Free Zone.
Arizona – Sonora
Arizona borders the northern Mexico state of Sonora.
- San Luis U.S. Route 95, San Luis, Arizona – Calle 1, San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora
- San Luis II State Route 195, San Luis, Arizona – Mexican Federal Highway 2, San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora
- Lukeville/Sonoyta State Route 85, Lukeville, Arizona – Benemérito de las Americas (Mexico Federal Highway 8), Sonoyta, Sonora
- Sasabe State Route 286, Sasabe, Arizona – Calle Sásabe, Altar, Sonora
- Nogales/Mariposa State Route 189, Nogales, Arizona – Mexican Federal Highway 15D, Nogales, Sonora
- Nogales/Grand Avenue Interstate 19, Nogales, Arizona – Boulevard Adolfo López Mateos (Mexican Federal Highway 15), Nogales, Sonora
- Nogales/Morley Gate Morley Avenue, Nogales, Arizona – Plutaro Elias Calles, Nogales, Sonora
- Naco D Street, Naco, Arizona – Avenida Francisco I Madera, Naco, Sonora
- Douglas/Agua Prieta U.S. Route 191, Douglas, Arizona – Calzada Panamericana, Agua Prieta, Sonora
California – Baja California
California borders the Mexican state of Baja California, Mexico. It is also known as the Baja Peninsula.
- San Ysidro Interstate 5, San Ysidro, California – Mexican Federal Highway 1, Tijuana, Baja California
- Otay Mesa State Route 905, Mesa de Otay/San Diego, California – Boulevard Garita de Otay, Tijuana, Baja California
- Tecate State Route 188, Tecate, California – Avenida Presidente Lázaro Cárdenas, Tecate, Baja California
- Calexico West State Route 111, Calexico, California – Calzada Adolfo López Mateos (Mexican Federal Highway 5), Mexicali, Baja California
- Calexico East State Route 7, Calexico, California – Boulevard Abelardo L. Rodríguez, Mexicali, Baja California
- Andrade State Route 186, Andrade, California – Avenida Mariano Lee or Calle 2a, Los Algodones, Baja California
New Mexico – Chihuahua
New Mexico only borders the Mexican State of Chihuahua. There are only three border crossings.
- Antelope Wells-El Berrendo State Road 81, Antelope Wells, New Mexico – Carretera El Berrendo-Janos, El Berrendo, Chihuahua
- Columbus-Puerto Palomas State Road 11, Columbus, New Mexico – Calzada 5 de Mayo, Puerto Palomas, Chihuahua
- Santa Teresa-San Jerónimo NM 136 (Pete Domenici Boulevard), Santa Teresa, New Mexico – Mexican Federal Highway 2, San Jerónimo, Chihuahua
Texas Border Crossings
Texas shares borders with four Mexican states. Most of these require you to cross an International bridge that spans the Rio Grande river.
Texas – Chihuahua
- El Paso - PDN El Paso Street, El Paso, Texas – Vial Juan Gabriel, Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua (one-way northbound only) (Paso del Norte International Bridge)
- El Paso - Stanton Stanton Street, El Paso, Texas – Avenida Lerdo, Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua (northbound SENTRI-only) (Stanton Street Bridge)
- El Paso - BOTA Interstate 110, El Paso, Texas – Mexican Federal Highway 45, Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua (Bridge of the Americas)
- El Paso - Ysleta Zaragoza Road, El Paso (Ysleta), Texas – Avenida Waterfill, Ciudad Juárez (Zaragosa), Chihuahua (Ysleta–Zaragoza International Bridge)
- Tornillo Island-Guadalupe Road, Tornillo, Texas – Mexican Federal Highway 2, Guadalupe, Chihuahua (Tornillo-Guadalupe Bridge)
- Fort Hancock FM 1088, Fort Hancock, Texas – El Porvenir, Chihuahua (Fort Hancock – El Porvenir International Bridge)
- Presidio U.S. Route 67, Presidio, Texas – Mexican Federal Highway 16, Ojinaga, Chihuahua (Presidio–Ojinaga International Bridge)
Texas – Coahuila
- Amistad Dam Route 349 Spur, Del Rio, Texas – Mexican Federal Highway 2, Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila
- Del Rio U.S. Business Route 277/ State Route 239 Loop, Del Rio, Texas – Francisco Javier Mina, Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila (Del Río – Ciudad Acuña International Bridge)
- Eagle Pass U.S. Route 57, Eagle Pass, Texas – Mexican Federal Highway 57, Piedras Negras, Coahuila (Eagle Pass – Piedras Negras International Bridge)
- Eagle Pass II South Adams, Eagle Pass, Texas – Libramiento Sur, Piedras Negras, Coahuila (Camino Real International Bridge)
Texas – Nuevo León
- Laredo Colombia - Solidarity State Highway 255, Laredo, Texas – Nuevo Leon State Highway 1 Spur, Colombia, Nuevo León (Laredo Bridge 3)
Texas – Tamaulipas
- Laredo - World Trade Interstate 69W /U.S. Highway 59, Laredo, Texas – Mexican Federal Highway 85D (Camino al Puente Internacional Comercio Mundial), Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas (Laredo Bridge 4)
- Laredo Bridge 1 Convent Avenue, Laredo, Texas – Avenida Vicente Guerrero, Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas (Laredo Bridge 1)
- Laredo - Juarez/Lincoln Interstate 35, Laredo, Texas – Calle Leandro Valle, Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas (Laredo Bridge 2)
- Falcon Dam FM 2098 Spur, Falcon Heights, Texas – Blas de la Garza Falcon, Guererro, Tamaulipas
- Roma Bravo Boulevard, Roma, Texas – Bravo Boulevard, Ciudad Miguel Alemán, Tamaulipas (Roma – Ciudad Miguel Alemán International Bridge)
- Rio Grande City Pete Díaz Avenue, Rio Grande City, Texas – Boulevard Ensenada, Ciudad Camargo, Tamaulipas (Rio Grande City – Camargo International Bridge)
- Los Ebanos FM 886, Los Ebanos, Texas – Avenida Adolfo Lopez Mateo, Gustavo Díaz Ordaz, Tamaulipas (hand-pulled ferry crossing)
- Anzalduas Bryan Road, Mission, Texas – Reynosa-Matamoros Highway, Reynosa, Tamaulipas (Anzalduas International Bridge)
- Hidalgo U.S. Route 281 / South International Boulevard, Hidalgo, Texas – Boulevard Internacional / Miguel Alemán, Reynosa, Tamaulipas (McAllen–Hidalgo–Reynosa International Bridge)
- Pharr South Cage Boulevard, Pharr, Texas – Puente Internacional, Reynosa, Tamaulipas (Pharr–Reynosa International Bridge)
- Donna FM 493, Donna, Texas – Puente Internacional Rio Bravo-Donna, Río Bravo, Tamaulipas (Donna - Río Bravo International Bridge)
- Progreso FM 1015, Progreso, Texas – Benito Juarez, Nuevo Progreso/Río Bravo, Tamaulipas (Progreso – Nuevo Progreso International Bridge)
- Los Indios Cantu Road, Los Indios, Texas – Puente Internacional, Lucio Blanco, Tamaulipas (Los Indios International Bridge)
- Brownsville - B&M Mexico Street, Brownsville, Texas – Las Americas, Matamoros, Tamaulipas (Brownsville & Matamoros International Bridge)
- Brownsville - Gateway State Route 4 (International Boulevard), Brownsville, Texas – Avenida Álvaro Obregon, Matamoros, Tamaulipas (Gateway International Bridge)
- Brownsville - Veterans Interstate 69E / U.S. Route 83, Brownsville, Texas – Avenida 5 de Mayo, Matamoros, Tamaulipas (Veteran's International Bridge)
Before choosing your route and depending on how long it will take you to get to the border, you may want to check border crossing times before you go. Get current border crossing wait times at http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/.
Border Crossings With Banjercito Locations (Vehicle Importation Permits)
If you are driving outside the Mexico Free Zone you will need a vehicle import permit. These can be obtained at the following border points:
Arizona Border Crossings
Arizona shares borders only with the Mexican state of Sonora. If you are only traveling in Sonora, outside the Free Zone, you can get a Sonora Only Temporary Importation Permit. Get more information on Arizona border crossings on our blog.
- San Luis/San Luis Río Colorado,
- Nogales/Grand Avenue
- Nogales/Morley Gate
California Border Crossings
California only shares a border with the Baja Peninsula and Temporary Importation Permits (TIPs) are not required in Baja. However, if you are also traveling outside of Baja, including taking a ferry to the mainland, you should get a TIP at one of these locations. Get more information on California border crossings on our blog.
- San Ysidro
- Otay Mesa
- Calexico East
New Mexico Border Crossings
You will need a Temporary Importation Permit (TIP) if you travel 13 miles beyond the U.S./Mexico border with New Mexico. Get more information on New Mexico border crossings on our blog.
- Columbus-Puerto Palomas (This is a faster border crossing for those who are headed south of Ciudad Juárez and don't need to go into the city.)
- Santa Teresa-San Jerónimo
Texas Border Crossings
You will need a Temporary Importation Permit (TIP) if you travel 13 miles beyond the U.S./Mexico border with Texas. Get more information on Texas border crossings on our blog.
- El Paso - Stanton
- El Paso - BOTA
- Del Rio
- Eagle Pass
- Laredo Colombia - Solidarity
- Laredo Bridge 1
- Laredo - Juarez/Lincoln
- Rio Grande City
- Los Indios
- Brownsville - Veterans
Get more information on the need for and obtaining a Vehicle Importation Permit on our website.