Temporary Vehicle Import Permit for Mexico

A Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit (TIP) allows non-Mexican citizens and Mexican citizens living abroad to take vehicles across the border into Mexico from other countries, such as the U.S. and Canada. It is required for areas outside the free or border zone. Only people with the immigration status of "visitor" (FMM), Temporary Resident, Temporary Resident Student, or Mexican citizens living abroad are eligible for a TIP.

A TIP can ONLY be obtained through Mexico's Banjercito government agency.

Please note: Mexpro has no affiliation, authority or connections with Banjercito.


If you plan to drive a vehicle beyond the Mexico Free Zone you will need to purchase a Mexico Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit (TIP).

The vehicle import permit can ONLY be obtained from Banjercito, the official Mexican issuing agency. Get your permit online at the Banjercito website or at the Mexico border. Online purchases must be made 10 to 60 days prior to travel into Mexico.

The TIP is valid for any type of vehicle weighing less than three and a half metric tons (7,716 lbs. GVRW), for a maximum of 180 days.

If your vehicle is registered as a motorhome you can get an RV TIP that is good for 10 years.

In Sonora, you are only required to obtain a permit if you are driving outside of the Sonora Free Zone, which is the area of Sonora that is west of the 15 highway and north of KM 98. If you only plan to travel in the Mexican State of Sonora, you can buy a Sonora ONLY Vehicle Permit at a lesser cost.

You do NOT need a Temporary Vehicle Import Permit for driving in any part of the Baja California Peninsula, Quintana Roo, the northwest portion of Sonora (the area west of the 15D and north of Guayamas), and within 25 kilometers of the borders.

Despite any advice, official or unofficial, vehicle permits cannot be obtained at checkpoints in the interior of Mexico, except at the ferry terminal in La Paz, Baja Sur. You must have a valid FMM to obtain a TIP at that location.

Please note: Mexpro has no affiliation, authority or connections with Banjercito.


Travelers should avoid individuals outside vehicle permit offices offering to obtain the permits without waiting in line, even if they appear to be government officials. There have been reports of fraudulent or counterfeit permits being issued adjacent to the temporary vehicle importation permit offices in border areas.

If the proper permit is not obtained before entering Mexico, do not proceed to the interior. Without the proper permit you could be incarcerated, fined and/or have your vehicle seized at immigration/customs checkpoints.


In Sonora, you are required to get a TIP if you will be driving outside the "Free Zone," which is the area west of the 15 highway and north of KM 98 (Guaymas). If you do drive outside the free zone, you have the option to purchase a "Sonora Only" Vehicle Importation Permit for a reduced price.

RV/Travel Trailer TIP

RVs and Travel Trailers require a TIP specifically for those vehicles. If you plan to drive your RV outside the free zone in Mexico get an RV Importation permit.