Mexico Tourist Auto Insurance Document Requirements

Crossing the border into Mexico

Passport and Proof of Mexico Tourist Auto Insurance

Passport Mexico MapAs an agent who deals with Mexico Tourist Auto Insurance, a very common question, that I often get asked, is "do I need a passport to get into Mexico." Well, to be quite honest, the last time I crossed the border, on my way to the 13th annual Rocky Point Motorcycle Rally, in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, the Mexican authorities did not ask me to show any documents at all, but rather only asked what my destination was. Once I had stated that I was headed to Rocky Point, they simply waved me through the border checkpoint and wished me a safe trip.

The Mexican authorities also do not always ask people to show their proof of Mexican Liability Insurance coverage, as they are crossing the border into Mexico, but as soon as you are involved in an accident or a traffic violation, you will be asked to show proof of coverage. If you are involved in an accident, and do not have an active valid Mexican Liability Insurance policy, you will be required to pay for all of the damages and bodily injuries, out of pocket, on the spot. If you are unable to pay, you will very likely be placed in a Mexican jail, and be kept there until you can come up with the required funds. So, even though I was not asked to show my passport or my proof of Mexican Insurance as I crossed the border checkpoint, I was still required by law to have documentation for both in my possession.

Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit

Depending on how far from the border you will be travelling, and also on the length of your stay in Mexico, you may need to also obtain a Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit. Mexico has a "Free Zone" that includes basically everything that is within approximately 22 miles (26 kilometers) of the U.S. border, along with the entire Baja Peninsula and approximately half of the state of Sonora (up to Kilometer marker 98 on Mexican Federal Highway 15). For day or weekend trips, inside the Free Zone, you will not be required to obtain a Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit. If you would like to learn more about Temporary Vehicle Importation Permits, please visit the Mexico Insurance Professionals Vehicle Permit to Travel to Mexico Frequently Asked Questions page at the following link:

Getting back into the United States is another matter

Since the destination of my last trip to Mexico was inside the Free Zone, I did not need to show any paperwork on my way into Mexico. However, on my way back into the U.S., I had to provide my passport to the Customs Agent

Beginning June 1, 2009 U.S. and Canadian citizens entering the United States through land ports of entry are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). Depending on your situation, there may be different documents that will serve to meet the requirements of the WHTI for crossing the border from Mexico into the United States. While a Passport is the most common document, there are some other documents that are also acceptable. Please see the list below for a breakdown of some different group categories and the different documents that are acceptable.

Documents Needed to Re-Enter the U.S.

U.S. Citizens

Canadian Citizens

Special Groups

U.S. and Canadian Citizen Children Under Age 16
Groups of U.S. and Canadian Citizen Children Under Age 19 Traveling with a school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team
Native Americans
U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents
U.S. Military
Citizens of Other Countries

To learn more information about acceptable documentation, or to apply for a passport, please visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs, U.S. Department of State website at: Some other websites with helpful information about document requirements are:

U.S. Customs & Border Protection at:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security at:

Canada's Foreign Affairs Ministry at:

Mexico Tourist Auto Insurance

If you are looking for some quick comparative quotes for Mexico Tourist Auto Insurance, or if you are ready to purchase a policy, please visit the Mexico Insurance Professionals auto insurance webpage at:

If you have other questions, you can call (855) 639-7761 to speak with a qualified Mexico Tourist Insurance Agent.