Everything You Need to Know About Buying Car Insurance for Mexico | Mexpro

Everything You Need to Know About Buying Car Insurance for Mexico

Driving to Mexico? Do you know that your U.S. or Canadian car insurance does not meet Mexico legal liability insurance requirements? In addition, your insurer probably does not provide coverage for collision and theft in Mexico (most totally exclude coverage). Those that do provide some limited collision and theft coverage, usually limit the distance you can travel into Mexico to 25-50 miles.

Is Mexico Car Insurance Necessary?

Mexican law requires you to carry Mexican liability insurance from a Mexican insurer. Even if your U.S. insurance provides full coverage on your vehicle within the boundaries of your trip, you will still need to buy liability insurance from a Mexican auto insurance company in order to comply with Mexican law.

Where do I Buy Mexican insurance?

  1. Sometimes your U.S. insurer will provide limited theft and physical damage coverage in Mexico. This may be a good option for you, if you trust your U.S. insurer to choose the company and manage your claims, should you need to utilize those services while in Mexico. This option is an especially good option if you are taking your RV into Mexico, as many RV Insurance providers extend physical damage and theft coverage to all of Mexico.

  2. Another option is to buy directly from a Mexican insurer in Mexico. You can do your research, determine which insurer will best meet your needs, and purchase online. Depending on which agency you use in Mexico, you may need to speak Spanish to complete your application and purchase a policy.

  3. If you are driving a rental car in Mexico, you can purchase through your Rental car company. This is sometimes a more expensive option, but it is also an easy option.

  4. You can also choose a Managing General Agency (MGA) in the U.S. An MGA will provide several insurer options based on their relationships with these companies, which can include:

    1. Top rated insurers
    2. Policies designed by the MGA to be similar to U.S. or provide options not available on typical Mexican insurance policies.
    3. Policies, declarations and terms & conditions in English.
    4. Fast, bilingual quotes - online or through licensed phone agents.
    5. Comparisons on price and coverage through each insurer.
    6. Bilingual claims agents and legal representatives.
    7. The option to purchase on your cell phone while driving to Mexico.

What Coverage Does a Mexican Policy Provide?

Expect coverage similar to what you have in the U.S. and that satisfies Mexican legal requirements. Mexpro recommends the following:

  1. A-Rated insurers
  2. Third Party liability coverage (injury to and damage to other people and their property) with a limit of $500,000
  3. Medical Payments (medical costs for yourself and your vehicle occupants)
  4. Uninsured motorist coverage
  5. Legal assistance/Bail Bond (bilingual legal representatives who will aid you in the event of an accident, as you are guilty until proven innocent in Mexico)
  6. Travel/Roadside assistance
  7. The option to have your vehicle repaired in the U.S. (offering increased labor rates)
  8. Gap coverage (pays difference between the amount owed on your vehicle and the actual cash value)

What Documents/Information Do I Need to Get a Mexican Insurance Policy?

Buying Mexican insurance is similar to purchasing a U.S. policy—you get a quote, choose the coverage you want, and then pay for the policy. In general, you will need the following information to get a quote.

  1. The dates you'll be traveling
  2. The make, model, year and actual cash value of your vehicle
  3. The vehicle owners name, address, phone number
  4. Vehicle Identification number (VIN), license plate number & state
  5. U.S. or Canadian insurance information
  6. A credit card

Can I Change My Policy After I Purchase?

Usually you can change or get a refund on a policy that is not yet in effect. Once it is in effect, refunds may or may not be available depending on how long you have been in Mexico utilizing the policy.

How Do Claims Work?

You will want to keep a copy of your declarations page and policy terms and conditions with you at all times. Mexpro recommends you keep a copy in your vehicle and one on your person.

If you need to make a claim, you will call the phone number provided in your policy declarations and your policy terms and conditions. An adjuster and a legal agent (in the case of liability occurrences) will be dispatched to the scene of the accident to help you file the claim and take care of any financial and/or legal issues resulting from the accident.

It is important to FILE YOUR CLAIM in Mexico. If you do not, your insurance policy will be void.

What you get with a Mexpro Mexico Car Insurance Policy

All Mexpro's car insurance policies for Mexico include third party liability & bodily injury coverage, legal assistance, and travel/roadside assistance.

Our full coverage policies offer lower deductibles, medical payments for all parties, physical damage, theft, partial theft, and vandalism coverage. In addition, you get legal and travel/roadside assistance, GAP coverage, increased U.S. labor rates and a deductible waiver for uninsured motorists.

Policy declarations, and terms and conditions are in English and Spanish. Claims agents and legal representatives are bilingual. Mexpro's website is available in English and Spanish, as well as our quote forms. Our phone agents are bilingual and licensed and highly trained and experienced in the insurance industry.

Mexpro's short-term policies (less than 6 months) have the added benefit of providing travel medical evacuation services, standard, whether a liability or full coverage policy.

For the best Mexico insurance in the industry, go to Mexpro, we are here to help you.

Other Legal Requirements

Legally you are required to carry a passport or passport card to enter Mexico by car. Even so, some people claim to enter & exit Mexico using a driver's license and birth certificate. Your best bet is to expect the Passport requirement to be upheld.

If you are driving beyond the free zone, you will also need a Temporary vehicle importation permit (TIP). You MUST get these through the Mexican government agency called Banjercito. You can find the Banjercito or Aduana location at most U.S. borders (Arizona, California, New Mexico, Texas).