Towed Unit Insurance Coverage in Mexico
All of Mexpro's Mexico auto policies extend liability to coverage on towed items at no additional cost. And, we do not require Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) and plate numbers for these towables, speeding up the purchase process. For most vehicles you can also obtain physical damage and theft coverage.Get My Quote Now
Purchased with us before?
» Log in now
What is a towed unit?
A towed unit is anything that is towed behind your vehicle. Some examples include:
- Cargo/Utility Flat Bed Trailers
- Enclosed Trailers
- Pop-up Campers, Travel Trailers & Fifth-Wheels
- All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) & Utility Vehicles (UTVs)
- Watercraft & Tow Trailers
Your towed units will be listed on your Mexico auto insurance application, depending on how you choose to insure them.
How to Insure Your Towed Unit(s)
We want to be sure you get your towables insured right, so we have several options for insuring them, depending on the coverage you want.
No Physical Damage
or Theft Coverage
If you do NOT want physical damage or theft coverage on towables, you do not need to list your towed units on the Mexpro auto quote form. Liability only coverage applies to any towed unit while being towed, whether listed on the policy or not.
Physical Damage & Theft
While in Tow Only
If you want Physical Damage and Theft coverage on the towables, only when they are in tow, list them on the policy with a corresponding Actual Cash Value.
Physical Damage & Theft Coverage
If you want Physical Damage and Theft coverage on the towables, both while in tow, and also when decoupled* and/or self-propelled, follow these instructions:
- Companion Autos, SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Motorcycles, Golf Carts: obtain a separate vehicle policy for each towed unit, insuring your self-propelled units for either Liability Only or Physical Damage.
- Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheels, Toy Haulers, Boat Trailers, Tent Trailers, Utility Trailers: list them as a towed unit on the primary vehicle policy with a corresponding value.
- ATVs/Utility Vehicles: Obtain a separate Liability Only or Physical Damage & Theft policy. It is important to note that any coverage applies only if the ATV/UTV is street legal (licensed and registered), and only while the ATV/UTV is on conventional roads. The deductible is $2,000 while decoupled from the towing unit and/or while self-propelled.
- Boats and Jet Skis: List them as a towed unit on the primary auto policy with a corresponding value and they will be covered while in tow only. You will need to purchase a Mexico Watercraft Liability insurance policy to protect you from third party claims while on the water. Physical damage/hull coverage for watercraft, once disconnected from the towing unit, is not provided.
* Purchasing towing coverage with GNP does not cover your towed unit while decoupled from the main vehicle.
- You cannot use your ATV/UTV or Motorcycle to tow, per the policy's Terms & Conditions.
- Coverage provided is for marked roadway use only. Off-road use is strictly excluded from all policy packages.
- You can learn more about insuring your towed units on our blog.