The Most Important things to Know Before Driving to Mexico
What should you know before driving to Mexico?
Nearly 16 millions Americans visit Mexico every year and a large portion of them enter via the Mexico border by car, truck, RV and motorcycle.
Mexpro.com and the U.S. State Department advise travelers headed to Mexico to follow a few simple safety guidelines before heading south.
- If you plan to stay in Mexico for more than a weekend, Mexpro.com suggests registering with the U.S. or Canadian Embassy nearest your destination. This allows you to get the latest regional travel information, as well as helps you to receive assistance in the event of an emergency.
- Be sure the vehicle you are driving into Mexico is insured with Mexico domiciled auto insurance.
- Be sure you get a Mexico Visa or Tourist Permit, if required. These are available at the Mexico border and at Mexico Tourism offices.
- Be sure you have the correct identification. For the latest Mexico entry requirements call the Mexican Embassy at (202) 736-1000 or any Mexican consulate in the US.
- Check the U.S. State Department website for the latest international travel information.
- Get a vehicle importation permit if traveling beyond the Mexico "Free Zone" (defined as the an area between 20 and 30 kilometers from the border with the US). You can do so online or at a border with a Banjercito location.
For all the information you need to know Before you Travel to Mexico click here for the latest updates and links to help you prepare for your Mexico trip.