Trip Report: Christmas in Oaxaca & Puerto Escondido, Mexico
By Roxanna McDade/Shelley Claude
My good friend Shelley Claude took a trip to Mexico this past December to celebrate the Christmas holidays with her family and friend. She had a wonderful trip and has been talking non-stop about going back - sometime very soon. I thought this would be a good opportunity to ask her about safety, family and fun in Mexico. Below is my interview with Shelley.
1. What were the dates of your travel?
December 21-31, 2011
2. How did you travel?
We flew by plane to Mexico City. We then took a Oaxaca city and then another bus to Puerto Escondido
3. Who went on this trip with you?
My two daughters, my husband and one friend
4. What activities did you participate in?
Sightseeing, a museum in Mexico City and a cooking class in Oaxaca city, which is famous for it's mole. I also took surfing lessons on the coast in Puerto Escondido.
5. What was your favorite destination during the trip and why?
It's hard to say. I really loved Oaxaca city for its culture, but loved Puerto Escondido for its beach.
6. Did you feel safe during your travels? Was there any time you did not feel safe & if so, why? Or, why did you feel safe?
I felt safe the entire time.
7. Was it crowded? Did you wish it were less crowded?
We went at high season and it did not feel very crowded to me.
8. Did you meet other American travelers?
No other Americans but lots of other International travelers
9. What was your least favorite part about the trip?
The duration of the bus rides
10. Would you recommend the same trip: Christmas, cities, Mexico, travel method to other families traveling to Mexico?
Yes, but I would take a flight right to Oaxaca city.
11. Will you go again?
I can't wait to go back
12. Was there something you did or saw that you feel other visitors should not miss?Yes, cooking classes and Mexico City's historic district.
13. Any final comments?
Now is a great time to visit Mexico, since crowds are reduced due to the inaccurate depiction given by the media for all of Mexico.
Thank you Shelley...and next time I'm coming with!