Mexpro’s Top Tips for Driving to Mexico

January 2, 2010 by
Categories: Driving to Mexico, Tips, Vehicle Import Permit

Use these tips to make your travel easy!

You must have  Mexico Auto Insurance when driving your vehicle into Mexico. If you do have an accident without coverage and do damage to third parties you may be detained. Click here to read our COMPLETE DRIVING TO MEXICO Survival Kit with all the information you need to understand to drive your car into Mexico without any hassles.

Proof of citizenship – you must have proof of citizenship at all times.

Proof of car ownership - valid vehicle registration certificate, or a document, such as the original title that certifies the legal ownership of the vehicle. It must be in the driver's name. This is for any non-Mexico plated vehicle.

A Passport/Passport card and valid driver’s license. If the name on your driver's license is different than the name on your passport due to a recent marriage, you need to bring your marriage certificate.

If traveling outside the  Mexico Free Zone, you will need a Mexico Vehicle Importation Permit. You must have an affidavit from any lien holder authorizing temporary importation in order to obtain an Importation Permit.  Click here to apply for a Vehicle Importation Permit online from Banjercito.