Be prepared to deal with a Travel Insurance Company
- Read their policy and disclose any medical problems that you may have so you know the limitations. Always bring a copy of your policy while you travel.
- Know the limits of treatment and be sure to carry a copy of your policy with you while traveling.
- If your insurance policy covers equipment loss or theft: Keep a record of any serial number on the equipment and if possible take a few photos of it. KEEP YOUR PAYMENT RECEIPT, you will have to prove ownership of the equipment.
What if something actually happens?
- Contact the police immediately, file a police report and keep a copy of it.
- As much as you can, keep a record of everything: names, positions, phone numbers, people you have talked to, the more information you have the easier will be for you to settle the claim.
- If you travel insurance allows you to fill a claim on-line then you should do it ASAP.
- If the company does not have an Internet way of filling the claim, is highly recommended to follow these steps:
- Check the policy coverage and see if it covers your loss.
- Call them ASAP and explain what has happened.
- To avoid delays, make sure you use the right form for your kind of loss. (The insurance agent will know what form to use)
- Ask for a full list of documents that you will need to provide when submitting the claim.
- Keep all documents and receipts that provide knowledge about the claim.
- Always stay in touch with the agent to know how the claim is developing.